REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe – Tribal Education Department received a three year grant from the Bureau of Indian Education to strengthen the Tribe’s inherent authority over education and to fully execute the Education Code. The Education Code was adopted by the Standing Rock Tribal Council in November 2012. The Department is seeking a consultant to conduct a comprehensive analysis of each section of the Standing Rock Education Code.
The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Tribal Education Department was awarded a Tribal Education Department Grant from the Bureau of Indian Education in July 2015. The goals of the grant are:
- Execute the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Education Code addressing legislative action, development of policies, and the development of education standards utilizing language and culture as the foundation of all academic programs to provide a relevant learning experience to ensure the academic success of all students.
- Conduct an evaluation of the academic achievement of students attending the three tribal grant schools – Rock Creek Grant School, Sitting Bull School, and Standing Rock Community School to ensure that the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe is effectively administering and managing the operation of their tribal grant schools.
- Exercising their inherent authority, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe will develop and execute a plan to assume the assets and functions of the Education Line Office in a manner that ensures the academic success of the students.
TASKS TO BE ACCOMPLISHED:
The Work Plan for the grant outlines the timeframe for all activities to be completed. The consultant will be required to conduct a comprehensive analysis of each section of the Standing Rock Education Code to identify the tasks/activities necessary for legislative action, development of policy, and the development of education standards and the resources necessary to execute the tasks/activities. Specific tasks are:
Review and analyze the Education Code.
Categorize the identified activities/tasks into legislative actions, policy development, and development of academic standards and requirements.
Identify the resources necessary to implement the sections of the Education Code that require action.
Present the comprehensive analysis of the Education Code to the Health, Education, and Welfare Committee for the appropriate action.
The contract will be effective upon approval of the tribal governing body. The Tribal Education Department anticipates a selection made by the end of March 2016. Bi-weekly progress reports to the SR Tribal Department of Education Director shall be required. Timeframe outlined in the grant shall be adhered to the best of the consultant and Director’s ability. The Standing Rock Tribal Education Department is seeking an individual with documented expertise in the legal, education, and/or related professional field and documented experience working with Native American Tribes, organizations and/or schools. Consultant may invoice up to 25% of fee upon approval of agreement to initiate agreement expenses related to travel, lodging and incidentals.
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit the following no later than March 11, 2016 to Emma Jean Blue Earth, SR Tribal Department of Education Director, PO Box D, Fort Yates, ND 58538, Phone (701) 854-7525, Email ejblueearth @standingrock.org. (Electronic versions welcome).
- Resume of all experience relevant to this RFP.
- Summary of recent and relevant projects.
- Three references: Names and contact information from work or projects completed.
- Describe in detail your approach to complete this project.