Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Sitting Bull College FAFSA school code?


What should I do with the forms included with my Award Notice?

Return all forms that require completion and/or a signature. Some of the forms you may have received along with your Award Notice include:

  • SBC Application for Financial Aid
  • Verification Worksheets if FAFSA application was selected to be verified by either US Department of Education or Sitting Bull College.

I am not certain that I will attend SBC. Should I accept my aid anyway?
Yes. Should you decide later that you will not attend, please notify the Office of Financial Aid.

Could my award change?
Yes. Sitting Bull College reserves the right to make adjustments to your award at any time, based on additional information that becomes available. This includes (but is not limited to):

  • Notification of additional resources such as a scholarship or grant not listed on your award letter or third-party billing (examples: Cultural Diversity, National Guard, Voc Rehab, etc.);
  • Changes resulting from verification;
  • Change in enrollment status

Can financial aid information be released to my parents/guardians/spouse?
In accordance with the Family Education Right and Privacy Act (FERPA), we are not allowed to release your restricted information to anyone but you, unless you have authorized the release in writing. A FERPA release form does not allow parents to make changes to a student’s financial aid award.

Is there anything that could delay the processing of my aid once I have accepted my Award Notice?
Yes. Delays will occur if:

  • The verification process has not been completed.
  • The financial aid check has not arrived at SBC financial aid office.

What if the amount of financial aid I was awarded is not enough?

We recommend that you contact the Financial Aid Office to complete an Unusual Circumstances form to document need for additional financial aid.

There are a variety of alternative loans from banks available to help you meet your expenses.

What if I have a special condition that I would like to have reviewed?
Contact the Office of Financial Aid to request a Unusual Circumstances Form (PDF) if any of the following occurred after you completed the 2014-20145FAFSA:

  • Reduction of income and benefits
  • Separation or divorce
  • Unusual debt or expense
  • Roth IRA rollover reported on your tax return
  • Unemployment of an independent student
  • Death of parent or spouse
  • Liquidation or foreclosure
  • Purchase of a computer (one time only; limit up to $2,500)
  • Family member is a dislocated worker
  • Change in housing status which results in being homeless
  • Nursing home expenses not covered by insurance

Is financial aid available for childcare?
Yes. You may contact the Office of Financial Aid for the Childcare Request Form (PDF).

Can I change my status from single to married after completing the FAFSA?
No. Your status will remain as it was the day the FAFSA was submitted.

Should I apply for scholarships?
Most scholarships are awarded in the spring for the upcoming year; however, you may still wish to search for external scholarships throughout the academic year. Other possible resources include:

  • Business/professional organizations
  • Churches
  • Employers
  • Fraternal organizations
  • Library
  • Tribal Agencies

Free scholarship searches at: www.college-scholarships.com/free_scholarship_searches.htm 

When can I charge books to my financial aid?
Books may be charged at the SBC Bookstore the week prior to the start of class.  VISA/MasterCard are also accepted for payment.

If I am receiving a Pell Grant, will I need to be enrolled by a certain date?
Yes. The amount of your Pell Grant will be determined by the number of credits you are registered for on the third Friday in the Fall or Spring Semesters and  by the sixth school day of the summer term.

What is Verification?
Verification is a random review process in which the information you provided on the FAFSA is compared to tax documents, W-2s and the Verification Worksheet. If you are selected for Verification, we will mail you a Verification Worksheet with instructions. No federal aid can be disbursed until Verification is complete. Verification cannot be completed until all required documents are submitted and reviewed. All forms should be submitted within 30 days after receiving the Verification Worksheet.

How do I determine my grade level?
Grade level is determined by the number of credits successfully completed:

  • Freshman 0- 30 credits;
  • Sophomore 31-60 credits;
  • Junior 61-90 credits; and
  • Senior 91+ credits.

What do I need to do if I want to withdraw from SBC before the end of the term?
You must initiate the withdrawal process by contacting the Counseling Department by the date listed in the SBC Bulletin for last day to withdraw from classes. The amount of unearned aid will be calculated and returned to the financial aid programs in the order specified by law. Unearned aid is calculated in accordance with federal regulation on a daily basis until the 60 percent point of the term, see the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (PDF).

Federal regulation also requires that an institution identify and resolve instances where a student ceases attendance in all classes during a payment period (term).  Therefore, students who receive all Fs or incompletes may be considered an unofficial withdrawal. For more information on an unofficial withdrawal, see the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (PDF).

What if I had Work-Study last year, but it is not listed on my Award Notice this year?
First, you must have completed the FAFSA by the April 30 priority deadline.  If you received Work-Study last year and would like to return to the same department, contact the Office of Financial Aid and submit another application for employment.

When are my tuition and fees due?
Any balance owed to Sitting Bull College must be paid prior to receiving an academic transcript.  Costs for each term will be paid at the end of the third week of the term from financial aid awarded.

Check your balance on MySBC.  For a detailed look at your fees, enter your user ID and password to sign in to your MySBC account. If you have questions related to your balance or want to pay over the telephone using a credit card, please call 701-854-8052.  You can access this system at anytime for an up-to-date view of your finances.