Federal Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grant

All students pursuing their first baccalaureate degree are eligible to apply for this grant if they meet all federal requirements of eligibility. The amount awarded by the FPell grant depends on the need of the student and the cost of the program of study in which the student is enrolled. Students must attend each class at least once to qualify for payment of FPell funds for the classes enrolled. Students apply for an FPell grant by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov or by completing the paper copy. Students and parents of dependent students must apply for a PIN # to apply on-line. The PIN request may be completed on-line at www.pin.edu.gov. Applicants are strongly encouraged to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing the FAFS.

There now is a limit to the length of time a student may receive a federal Pell grant. Students may only receive the Pell grant for 12 semesters as a full-time student or the equivalent if enrolled less than full-time in a term a maximum of 600%. This provision applies to all students regardless of when s/he first received a Pell grant.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The FSEOG program is designed to assist students with exceptional financial need by supplementing other sources of financial aid. FSEOG grants range from $100 to $4,000. Students apply for the FSEOG by completing the FAFSA. At Sitting Bull College, priority is given to students who apply by April 30 for fall term and October 31 for spring term.

Federal Pell Grant and Federal SEOG Grant Disburesment

At end of week three (3) of the semester, payment of FPELL/FSEOG grants will be authorized to:

  • Pay SBC for tuition, books, and fees expenses
    • SBC shall grant an extension of credit to students to purchase their books through the SBC Bookstore. EXCEPTION: Students may choose not to utilize this option for purchasing their textbooks at the SBC Bookstore and, in this situation, the student must notify the financial aid office in writing at least one month prior to the first day of the term. If the student financial aid file is complete and payable prior to the start of the term, the college will issue payment of excess aid to the student on the 7th day of the term so that s/he may purchase the textbooks elsewhere. Students who have not attended each class at least once during the first week will not be eligible to receive the payment.      
  • Pay SBC for housing fees and rent (if living in student family housing); room and board (if living in efficiency apartments).
  • Pay current term daycare expenses as authorized by the student.
  • Pay up to $200 on your account from federal financial aid funds (Pell or SEOG) if you owe SBC for prior year expenses.
  • Pay student the balance remaining after paying tuition, books, fees, housing fees, room and board expenses, other allowable costs.

Pell applications completed after week three (3) of the semester will be paid out at the next scheduled financial aid disbursement date.

Students enrolled in the Energy Technician, TREND certificate, and accelerated BS Business Administration programs will not receive excess Pell funds until the November and April financial aid disbursement dates. This is because these programs are “block” scheduled and student attendance must be documented for full-time eligibility of federal Pell funds.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

The FWS program provides eligible students with an on-campus job to earn money to help pay college expenses. Awards range from $800 to $6,000 per academic year and the wage is set at $10.00 per hour. SBC offers community service jobs at the following sites: Sitting Bull College Library which serves as the college and the community public library; the Tribal Business Information Center (TBIC); and the Kampus Kids Daycare Center. Job opportunities are announced one month before each semester. At Sitting Bull College, priority is given to students who apply by April 30 for fall term and October 31 for spring term. Students must complete the FAFSA and the SBC FWS employment application.

Paid every two weeks at $10.00 per hour and based on actual hours worked. Annual leave, sick leave, and holiday pay are not accrued or earned. (Student may opt to have college costs and housing rental fees withheld from work study payroll and must authorize withholding from payroll office in writing.)

Federal Direct Education Loans and Federal Direct Consolidation Loans

As of July 1, 1990, Sitting Bull College no longer participates in the federal education loan programs; therefore, students may not receive a federal education student loan to attend Sitting Bull College. However, students attending SBC are eligible to receive an education deferment and must contact the holder of their loan(s) to request a deferment. Students should advise the Financial Aid Director at the time of their enrollment that they have an outstanding loan for which they need assistance in getting a deferment or forbearance.


Students who are in default on a federal education loan are not eligible to receive federal financial aid until they have resolved the default. There are options available for students to resolve the default.

  • A student can resolve a default by repaying the loan in full, including consolidation through a program called the William D. Ford Federal Direct Consolidation Loan Program. For further information, a defaulted borrower may contact the Department of Education at 1-800-557-7392 (Consolidation) or 1-800-621-3115 (Reinstatement or Rehabilitation).
  • If the student and the loan holder agree on a compromised amount for settling a loan, or if the school writes off a regulatory permissible amount and the student repays the amount, that also counts as paying the loan in full.
  • A student can make satisfactory repayment arrangements by paying consecutive, full, voluntary payments on time. This option is only available to the student once.
  • A student can rehabilitate the loan by making full, voluntary payments on time.

All Other Financial Aid Funds Disbursement

Financial aid will be disbursed once per month – a total of 4 payments per semester:

Fall term:  The first financial aid disbursement is paid on the third Friday in the semester.  Financial aid disbursements two, three and four will be paid on the first Friday of the month (October, November, December).

Spring term:  The first financial aid disbursement is paid on the third Friday in the semester.  Financial aid disbursement payments two, three and four will be paid on the first Friday of the month (February, March, and April).

If those dates are on a holiday or weekend, the financial aid disbursement will be issued the last working day prior to the holiday or weekend.

Any funds received between financial aid disbursement dates will be paid on the next scheduled financial aid disbursement date and will be divided equally by the number of financial aid disbursements remaining in the term. Example: $3000 received in August, will be paid in September, October, November, December at $750 each financial aid disbursement.  Same funds received in mid-September, would be paid in October, November, December, at $1,000 each financial aid disbursement.

Other Disbursement Rules:

Financial aid disbursements will NOT be issued during the first week of the semester.
Students who live in SBC housing are required to pay their rent from whatever financial aid is awarded after tuition, books, and fees are paid and before the first financial aid disbursement is issued to the student.  If financial aid is not sufficient to cover the total cost for the semester, the student shall be held responsible for making rental payments form their own means of support.
Students may request to have funds withheld from their financial aid to pay additional rental costs not covered during the 9-month financial aid period of enrollment (i.e. summer months).  EXAMPLE:  $350 per month x 12 months’ rent fee paid out of the 9-month financial aid award.
If a student is selected for FPELL verification and s/he has not completed the process, SBC shall hold all other aid awarded for payment of tuition, books, fees, housing, room and board until verification is completed.
If FPELL is not sufficient to pay all tuition, books, fees, housing, and room and board costs, payment shall be made from other aid awarded before issuing the first financial aid disbursement to the student.
Students who fail to maintain attendance at minimum full-time enrollment may have their full-time financial aid award canceled.
Some financial aid programs pay the tuition, books, and fees expenses for their clients.  If your costs are paid through a source other than the FPELL grant, you may use your federal financial aid for your living expenses or other college-related costs. You may (for budgeting purposes) request that SBC disburse federal Pell Grant funds to you in financial aid disbursement (4 per term paid once a month).  If the student wants SBC to disburse these funds in this method, s/he must complete a disbursement request form available from the SBC Financial Aid Office.

Financial Aid Disbursements:

Financial aid disbursements will only be issued to students with proper identification.  Students may pick up their checks at 1:00 p.m. from the Academic Counselor.  If not available to disburse the checks, the Career and Technical Education Counselor will disburse them.  If neither counselor is available, the Financial Literacy/Scholarship Coordinator will disburse financial aid disbursements.
Financial aid disbursement checks will only be given to the student whose name is on the check.  Checks may not be picked up by the student’s friends, relatives, or spouse or significant other.
Checks not picked up by 2:30 p.m. on the dates listed will be mailed to the student unless there is a problem with the student’s attendance in classes.
Students funded through the JPTP program will pick up their financial aid disbursement from the JPTP office – not the Academic Counselor.
Advances of financial aid will not be issued.  Please do not ask for special consideration.
Early release of financial aid disbursement checks will not be issued unless approved by the Vice President of Academics under emergency situations and provided the checks are printed and available at the requested release time.