Online Catalog: Click Here
Online Library Resources Click Here
Monday thru Thursday 8:00 AM-8:00 PM
Saturday 12:00 AM-4:00 PM
Sunday 12:00 AM-6:00 PM
Contact: Library (701) 854-8008 Librarian Rosie Cunningham (701) 854-8073
Sitting Bull College Library is a digital only Federal Depository Library. Find Collections in our library catalog above and through the website links on the left.
The Sitting Bull College Library serves the College as well as the local Standing Rock community as a public library open to everyone. Sitting Bull College Library serves the information needs of all residents of Standing Rock. Local residents, as well as students, faculty and staff of Sitting Bull College and visitors may utilize all the services that the library provides. Among the range of services are the following:
Public access computer lab with a printer/photocopier and scanner
A wide selection of online research resources that can be accessed either at the library or elsewhere
A large collection of print and digital resources available with a focus on Native America
Census Information Center for access to American Indian Census information
A growing collection of Lakota/Dakota and Standing Rock primary sources
- Full-sized print of the High Dog Winter Count is a new permanent display in the library. Read more about it here in The First Scout blog by Dakota Goodhouse
- Permanent photo portfolio exhibition featuring 45 photographs by photographer D.F. Barry that focus primarily on people and places associated with the Battle of the Little Bighorn
- In Our Own Words: Native Impressions: Art prints of Native people’s images and words from across North Dakota is a new permanent display in the library rotunda. Read more about the artworks here
Have a question? Email the reference desk using the contact form below and we will do what we can to help you.
Sitting Bull Photograph Collection
In the late 19th Century, Sitting Bull, became one of the most photographed people of the age. Some of these photographs are iconic and readily recognizable to people around the world. While most are less well known and have received little attention. These photographs, combined with his historic leadership role, have made Sitting Bull one of the most recognizable American Indian leaders of all time.
The collection at Sitting Bull College Library comprises the largest permanent display of Sitting Bull photographs anywhere in the world. The collection continues to grow and will eventually feature each of the known unique photographs of Sitting Bull along with information about the history of each. Gathered together from archives, libraries and private individuals, the collection seeks to honor the memory of the great American Indian leader by creating a permanent display that will continue to inspire future generations.
Sitting Bull College Library has several other unique special collections that are available.
- The James Emery Collection consists of over 900 recordings, many of which feature rare Lakota/Dakota songs and stories. A full listing of collections contents is available here
- Primary source collection of Lakota stories by George Bushotter written in the 1880s courtesy of the Smithsonian Anthropological Archives
- Primary source collection Lakota/Dakota music by Francis Densmore courtesy of the Library of Congress
- The Standing Rock Collection is a growing comprehensive collection of historical primary source materials in various formats including microfilm, print, audio and video. These include historic government, military, church, newspaper, musical and oral history sources collected from around the world that record Standing Rock history back to the distant past . The library has a computer based microfilm reader-scanner which allows microfilm to be conveniently searched, saved and printed from a computer screen.
- A growing archive that seeks to preserve documents from Standing Rock and Sitting Bull College history
- A wide variety of historical photos, maps and primary source material that documents Standing Rock history are on display in the library. This includes a life sized print of the famous Long Soldier Winter Count featured on the award winning Lakota Winter Counts website http://wintercounts.si.edu/
For more information, contact:
Library: (701) 854-8008
Rosie Cunningham, Librarian
Sitting Bull College Library
9299 Highway 24
Fort Yates, ND 58538
Phone: (701) 854-8073
Fax: (701) 854-3403
Email: Please use contact form below